Monday, June 06, 2005

Dreading the upcoming University life

Why I decided to follow the footsteps of past ancestors and take up Engineering instead of Arts & Social Sciences or Business:

1) Arts and Social Sciences a degree that is too general
2) Bachalor in Business too easily available on the market in open universities and can be accomplished in a matter of 2 years instead of the 3.
3) I can still branch out of Engineering into other fields like sales, marketing etc. (Though I am figuring out what aspects of Engineering can be linked to F&B)
4) I can go Dubai, and Middle Eastern Countries to work where it is opportunities galore.
5) A step closer to fulfilling dad's ambition of setting his own firm cos elder brother in Civil Engineering, younger sister entering Architecture, and me in Engineering rounds it up nicely.
6) God's will. I was admitted into Engineering in NTU and not Arts and Social Science in NUS...

So bleah. I've already appealed. Let's see how things go.

I would prefer to go NUS than NTU cos it's so much more accessible to home, town and work. I don't exactly fancy staying in Hall. But travelling to such damned ulu place leaves no choice but hostel.

NUS is nearer to uhm FF's place, nearer to Wala Wala, nearer to Clarke Quay, nearer to Tanjong Pagar, uhm, and nearer to XXX's place.

Hur hur hur.

After close to 2 years of working various jobs, I've not found a work place I've enjoyed till Coastes came along. A little late for me though. Cos... I may have to cut short my working time there... cos the farked Orientation Camp and Sports Camp starts in JULY!!! Ugh! No no no...

I want to see my XXX!!!

Damn. Will be spending most of my waking time mugging rather than clubbing or anything else cos Engine has labwork! Ugh. Wonder if there's something called the slackest engine course.

** To be edited later **

7 Comments:

Blogger FF said...

ooh we can go fong seng for supper and you can intro me to the cute guys in your hall!

10:21 PM  
Blogger ketsugi said...

If you do get into NUS, do check this out:

http://vcffoc2005.vcfnus.org/

11:44 PM  
Blogger Vera said...

yah Arts degree is too general! i was from there hohoho

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya, i was in your position once so i understand! :)

well... maybe its actually better in the long run to major in something you'd enjoy, as opposed to something you think would open more doors. This is the logic:

1) you do better in subjects you enjoy because they engage you - i've always did horribly in secondary school or JC because i was never enthralled by, say, maths or the sciences. In contrast, i loved what i did in the arts faculty and did surprisingly well relative to my early academic life.. actually got a 1st class, which kinda still surprises me today since I grew up suspecting that I was rubbish at school.

2)a 1st class or 2nd upper general degree puts you on a very different career path in certain fields than a 2nd lower or 3rd class in engineering.. i secured a pretty decent job half a year before i graduated, and so did a couple friends of mine who were doing well enough

3) i know too many people who opted for engineering and especially law just for marketability's sake, or because mum said to do so, only to end up being terribly unexcited by their field.

Of course, my advice doesnt apply if you think you'd like engineering..
So the real gist of my post (which wasnt supposed to be this long anyhow) is to pursue your passion whatever it may be. Oh, and all the best for your studies! :)

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes yes, choose something that u'll actually like. I wish I had done that before. :p

Good luck for your choice, whichever that might be. :)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i concur fully with what another random passerby said. i was in the same position once, and i made the same mistake you're about to make, and till this day i still regret it.

do what you really enjoy, instead of what you think is more 'marketable'. you'll enjoy your uni time more, and more often that not you'll do better than if you were to do something you don't like. a first or 2nd upper class general degree from nus beats one from an open university hands down, and for a fresh graduate, it certainly opens more door than a 2nd lower or 3rd class professional degree.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

give it some thought.
life will be miserable in engine if you dun enjoy it.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home